Police investigate the scene after a man set himself on fire at the National Mall on October 4.(Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)

Police investigate the scene after a man set himself on fire at the National Mall on October 4.(Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)

The man who set himself on fire at the National Mall last week has been identified as 64-year-old John Constantino of New Jersey.

Police responded to a report Friday of a man on fire at 7th Street and Madison Drive NW. The Metropolitan Police Department said in a release that “it is now apparent that he set himself on fire.”

Constantino was “semi-conscious” and “suffering from significant burns all over his body” when police arrived at the scene. He was transported by helicopter to an area hospital and later died.

A lawyer for the Constantino family said in a statement to the Post that “his death was not a political act or statement, but the result of a long battle with mental illness.” The family “is shocked and deeply saddened” and described the situation as a “personal family matter and not an issue of public concern.” They also thanked the first responders who tried to save Constantino’s life.