Joshua Bell

The world-famous violinist who was basically ignored when he played inside a Metro station a few years ago will perform inside the system again next week.

The Washington Post’s Gene Weingarten enlisted Joshua Bell to play at the L’Enfant Plaza Metro station as part of an experiment. Just 27 of the 1,097 people who passed stopped to listen.

But as the Post reports, Bell will try again next week, albeit in a different setting and with different expectations. He will give a performance at Union Station’s main hall next Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. with nine students he mentored through the National YoungArts Foundation. Bell is also promoting a new album and HBO special.

While Bell isn’t staying away from Metro, he told the Post he doesn’t only want to be known for his 2007 performance.

“I’m in dangerous territory of it becoming the main thing I’m known for in my life. I really don’t want that on my tombstone: Here he is, underground again,” he says.

He doesn’t want the subway stunt to define him, but that doesn’t mean he can’t embrace a timely public-transit encore.

So the do-over is for him, his perfectionist tendencies, and for all the people who came up and said “I wish I would have been there!” (Like former president Bill Clinton, who said it to Bell at a recent concert in New York. “If he had been there, no one would have paid attention to me anyway,” the violinist says.)