Photo by Tom.
Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx is no stranger to threatening Metro. He has warned the region’s leaders that he will withhold funding if they don’t create a new safety oversight agency. He has blasted WMATA’s safety culture as “inadequate.” And today, he told reporters that he will shut down the rail system if safety doesn’t improve.
Foxx said that he “seriously” considered shutting down the rail system last week, Reuters reports. “We’re not afraid to use the authority we have,” he said.
And according to USA Today, Foxx specifically referenced a video of an arcing insulator that caught fire, calling it “scary.” He added that, “I would have no hesitation to shut down the system” if safety doesn’t get better.
Interestingly, Foxx himself rejected a proposal last fall that would have given the feds more control over the system. Ultimately, the Federal Transit Authority assumed safety oversight on a temporary basis.
“Metro is focused on ensuring the safety of every customer and employee as we work to fully implement the FTA directives,” says Metro spokesperson Morgan Dye over email. “In addition, Paul Wiedefeld remains available to USDOT to resolve any concerns they may have.” Metro did not comment on whether Foxx reached out to the agency while he considered shutting down the system.
Last Friday, Metro introduced a year-long plan for maintenance work. Local leaders have largely gotten behind the proposal, which would begin on June 4 if it wins approval from the board.
Rachel Kurzius