The D.C. Council held an all-day public hearing on the Fenty administration’s proposal to close 23 public schools yesterday, with the highlight being three hours of testimony from Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee.
The Post reports that at one point, Zein El-Amine, a member of Save Our Schools, interrupted testimony to yell expletives at Rhee, accusing her of reneging on a promise to take seriously community input into her decision-making process regarding school closures. About 50 people, including school children, also protested for an hour before the hearing began, led by Ward 8 Council member Marion Barry in chants of, “No justice, no peace.”
The Examiner ran some interesting quotes from the first part of the hearing of testimony by several community leaders who argued that some particularly successful schools, like Stevens and Wilkinson Elementary Schools, should not be on the closure list. Council Chair Vincent Gray said he agreed.
“There are schools on this list that shouldn’t be on this list,” Chairman Vincent Gray said. “I’m absolutely convinced of that.”
It’s tough to say whether the negative reaction from parents, activists and the Council to the current school closure proposal could actually convince Fenty and Rhee, who were given direct power over the school system last year by the Council, to change course. Barry and Council member Harry Thomas Jr. (D-Ward 5) have sponsored legislation to prevent these school closings from going forward without more input. Simultaneous hearings at each of the 23 schools set for closure are still scheduled for Thursday night.
Photo by erin m