In a follow up to the Washington Post’s big scoop last week regarding a narrowly avoided Metrorail train collision back in March, the paper updates today with word from the National Transportation Safety Board that Metro did in fact inform them of the earlier incident the day after the June 22 Red Line crash. Previously, the NTSB had said that they had not heard about the March incident from Metro.

After a more detailed review, NTSB spokeswoman Bridget Serchak said in an e-mail, the board found that information about the March incident had been “provided verbally by an employee of [Metro] on June 23, 2009 to the NTSB accident investigation team during a progress meeting” about the Red Line crash. No details of the March incident were provided to the NTSB at that time, they said.

In related news, WJLA scored an interview with newly confirmed NTSB chair Debbie Hersman, the board spokesperson who wowed local reporters with her calm and knowledgeable press conferences in the wake of the Red Line crash. Hersman notes that many NTSB staffers ride Metro every day, so this particular accident really hits home for them. And there’s this fun detail: “Chairman Hersman believes it’s important to have first hand knowledge of what she’s making recommendations about, so she is licensed to drive large trucks, motorcycles and school buses. Her next goal is to obtain a pilot’s license.”