Photo by Kevin H.Good morning, Washington. So let’s take stock: what did we all learn from last night’s ever so brief shoe bomber scare? Was it that the media should learn not to rush to label something until they have all the facts? Or how about that you should never, ever, under any circumstances, joke around about terrorism with TSA employees? I was personally glad to be reminded that the usual fine for getting caught smoking in an airplane lavatory is $3300. And also to discover that while being the third secretary for the Qatari Embassy here in Washington may be a relatively low level position, it’s *just* important enough to be able to avoid being charged with any wrongdoing in a situation where F16s were scrambled to intercept your ass. Despite the fact that Mohammed Al-Madadi was never a terrorist and the whole thing looks to have been a big misunderstanding, it still seems like maybe Qatar could pick up the tab for the gasoline those fighter jets used up, at the very least.
Another Legal Setback for Fenty and Nickles: Two judges in two weeks have put the smackdown on D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty’s efforts to bring an end to court oversight of many of the city’s social services agencies. First Judge Thomas Hogan cited Fenty for contempt in the CFSA case, LaShawn v. Fenty, and now Judge Ellen Segal Huvelle has taken AG Peter Nickles to task for being unwilling to settle with the plaintiffs in Evans v. Fenty, the Department on Disability Services case. Sounds like the back and forth between Nickles and Huvelle got a little testy, too. As WaPo’s Henri Cauvin reports: ‘Nickles, who has spearheaded the city’s effort to end the Evans case and other long-running class actions over social services and special education, has been faulted by more than one judge for his hard-line legal tactics. In court, he took issue with Huvelle’s critique. “This castigation of our effort or my efforts is unseemly, I think,” Nickles told Huvelle.’
14-Year-Old Faces 41 Counts in Mass Shooting: The driver in last week’s deadly mass shooting on South Capitol Street was only 14 years-old, and he’s now facing “41 counts in juvenile court, including four of first-degree murder while armed, attempted murder while armed and assault with intent to kill,” the Post reports. A bench trial has been set for May 13 in the teen’s case.
Briefly Noted: D.C. Council member Jack Evans is engaged to be married … Police are regularly shutting down streets and sidewalks around Ballou High School … D.C. man shot in November dies, his death ruled a homicide … FOX5 interviews Michelle Obama … Two more funerals for South Capitol Street shooting victims.
This Day in DCist: Last year, we contemplated a daytime bar crawl for the recently laid off, and the year before that, WMATA said it had actually improved the performance of its escalators and elevators.