Photo by Images_of_Money

Photo by Images_of_Money

If you’re an avid online poker player and are just waiting for the District to flip the switch on its planned first-in-the-nation Internet gambling program, you might be waiting for a while.

After a contentious hearing last week at which members of the D.C. Council sparred with the D.C. CFO over how Internet gambling came to be, The Washington Times reports today that the odds have decreased substantially that the program will move forward anytime soon:

Jack Evans, chairman of the D.C. Council’s Committee on Finance and Revenue, said he did not want to tip his hand but hinted that he would act swiftly on a bill introduced by council member Tommy Wells, Ward 6 Democrat, to repeal authority for online gambling. Mr. Evans’ committee on Friday heard hours of testimony on the proposal and Inspector General Charles J. Willoughby’s overdue report on it.

“To say we approved [online gambling] is a misnomer,” Mr. Evans, Ward 1 Democrat, said after the hearing. He was referring to a December 2009 vote to approve the city’s $38 million lottery award to Greek firm Intralot and partner Veterans Service Corp.

“We approved the chief financial officer’s ability to add options to the lottery contract, but we were talking about scratch-off lottery games, not an entirely new concept,” Mr. Evans said.

Under a provision that was inserted into a broader 2010 budget bill, the D.C. Lottery would be allowed to run four online games for residents and visitors physically within city limits, bringing in over $13 million in its first three years. Lottery officials have said that if they’re given the go-ahead, they could have the program up and running in 30 days. Opponents don’t really quarrel with the merits or drawbacks of Internet gambling itself, but rather argue that the program hasn’t been properly vetted or opened up to public input.