Via Facebook.

(AP Photo/Nick Wass)

After testing positive for a banned substance, D.C. boxer Lamont Peterson admitted yesterday to taking testosterone pellets as part of a medical treatment, reports ESPN:

Peterson tested positive for a substance “consistent with the administration of an anabolic steroid such as testosterone,” according to a letter the NSAC received from the Las Vegas-based Voluntary Anti-Doping Association that was obtained by ESPN.com.

Kizer told ESPN.com that Jeff Fried, Peterson’s attorney, told him that Peterson said he took testosterone pellets late last year — before his Dec. 10 fight with Khan — on the recommendation of a doctor because Peterson had low testosterone levels.

The fate of Peterson’s long-awaited May 19 rematch against Amir Khan in Las Vegas remains up in the air, though. Peterson’s lawyers are planning on submitting information related to the testosterone to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which would license him for the upcoming bout. In a worst case scenario, the fight could be called off and Peterson could be stripped of the super lightweight titles he took from Khan during their fight in D.C. last December.