George Zimmerman/AP photoA day and a half after a judge revoked his bond, George Zimmerman, charged with second-degree murder for the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin, has returned to Central Florida to be taken back into custody. His lawyer issued a statement saying that Zimmerman arrived “late Saturday evening… The defense team has coordinated with the Sanford Police Department to ensure Mr. Zimmerman’s security when he turns himself in before today’s 2:30 PM deadline.”
Last Friday, prosecutors successfully argued that Zimmerman, who had been out on $150,000 bond, and his wife misled them about the state of their finances. Zimmerman’s wife claimed that they had very little money (he wasn’t working while she is a nursing student). But after being granted bail, it was revealed over $100,000 for his defense had been raised online, an effort she said they knew nothing about it. Further, prosecutors said there were recordings of the couple discussing “moving money from a PayPal account set up to collect money for Zimmerman’s defense.”
On February 26, 17-year-old Trayon Martin was walking home in a Sanford, Fla. gated community after buying iced tea and Skittles from a convenience store. Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, felt Martin was “suspicious” and followed him. Zimmerman has claimed that the pair got into a fight, in which Martin punched him in the face, knocked him down and bashed his head into the sidewalk, forcing him to shoot the teenager. Sanford police decided not to arrest Zimmerman, believing his claim of self-defense. However, others said that Zimmerman may have profiled the teen. A national controversy ensued, with President Obama even weighing in and the Justice Department investigating the matter.
Zimmerman was arrested 44 days after the shooting and pleaded not guilty. His defense website says:
While out on bond, Mr. Zimmerman has been living in a secure, undisclosed location as there are significant threats against his life.
Mr. Zimmerman’s lawyers will request a new bond hearing where they can address the court’s concerns regarding the representation of funds available at the time of the original hearing on April 20. The defense team hopes that Mr. Zimmerman’s voluntary surrender to Sanford police will help demonstrate to the court that he is not a flight risk. Furthermore, the vast majority of the funds in question are in an independently managed trust, and neither Mr. Zimmerman or his attorneys have direct access to the money.
Update: Zimmerman is back in custody; here’s video of him entering the jail while handcuffed.