Photo by Bullneck

Photo by Bullneck

If you were hankering for another in-depth look at the legacy of D.C. Councilmember Marion Barry (D-Ward 8), you’re in luck. And if you live in the District, pat yourself on the back and give yourself an executive producer credit—because you paid for it.

According to documents obtained by WAMU, Barry helped shepherd an upcoming 30-minute documentary about Ward 8, which is being funded by a $12,000 city contract. The short film is the brainchild of May 3rd Films, which previously created Mayor-for-Life, a web series about Barry that was broadcast on YouTube in 2010.

May 3rd Films and Barry signed an agreement last month in which Barry appeared to commission the production of the documentary that will “explore the rich history of Ward 8.” The document stipulates that May 3rd Films will be paid the $12,000 sum upon completion.

But Barry was defensive when WAMU’s Patrick Madden questioned him on getting May 3rd Films a gig:

Barry bristled when asked if there were any issues with awarding the contract to the company behind his reality show.

“What’s the conflict of interest? I didn’t award them a contract,” Barry says. “We put out a need. The secretary’s office looked at two or three other things. This is a very personal thing! So why are you raising things that aren’t relevant. Stop doing that.”

Leslie Green, a spokeswoman for the D.C. Office of Motion Picture and Television Development, told DCist that her agency did not receive any requests for filming permits from the production company behind the Ward 8 documentary. But those requests would only be necessary if May 3rd intends to shoot any public spaces. The production company is, however, planning on using archival footage of the ward, Green said.

The agreement dictates that the finished product is deliverable September 1, though it is unclear if production has actually commenced and whether the film has a premiere date or broadcast outlet. But, hey, at least now we’re all movie producers!