Photo by Chris Rief
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority said its train and bus lines will remain closed tomorrow as Hurricane Sandy continues to rain down on the D.C. area.
Metrorail, Metrobus and MetroAccess vans will remain shut down until the roads and tracks are deemed safe for travel, the transit authority said in a news release. Service will resume once Metro employees have inspected tracks, bridges, buildings and aerial structures.
Metro spokesman Dan Stessel said earlier Monday that some minor damage to Metro property had been reported.
Full announcement:
Due to extreme weather conditions from Hurricane Sandy that are expected to impact the entire Metro service area through the overnight hours, Metro has announced the following for Tuesday, October 30:
• Metrorail and Metrobus service will not resume service Tuesday morning. An announcement on when service may be restored will be made after Metro is able to assess damage and weather conditions in the morning. Metro personnel will need to perform a comprehensive damage assessment, including inspections of track, bridges, aerial structures, stations and facilities. Metrorail service restoration is also contingent on adequate commercial power to support operations and repair of any storm-related damage. For Metrobus, service restoration will vary by route and depend on road conditions.
• MetroAccess service will remain suspended all day Tuesday.
Metro will restore service only when it is safe to do so.