Photo by M.V. Jantzen

Unless you’ve forgotten, Mayor Vince Gray is still under investigation for improprieties related to his 2010 mayoral campaign, notably paying off a third-tier contender to attack Adrian Fenty during debates and also benefitting from a $653,000 shadow campaign that helped pay for supplies, material and personnel.

Little has changed so far in the status of the investigation, though: U.S. Attorney of D.C. Ron Machen refuses to say whether Gray will be next to fall, and Gray has generally stuck to saying that he’s been cooperating with investigators. Until now, it seems.

On Saturday the Post’s editorial board claimed that Gray is no longer speaking to the feds: “Mr. Gray apparently isn’t talking to federal prosecutors, either. Sources told us that he has declined several requests for a meeting; Robert S. Bennett, the mayor’s attorney, declined to comment.” Yesterday NBC4 reported the same:

In the past, Gray repeatedly said he’s cooperating with authorities in an investigation that’s more than a year old and has seen some felony convictions, but he would not repeat that pledge Monday.

“I was the one who called for an investigation of my own campaign, and we will continue to work with this investigation,” Gray had said in July.

The mystery of how much Gray knew—or didn’t know—seems likely to continue into 2013, keeping a cloud over his administration even as he pretends to govern like nothing is happening. All the while, even some of his critics are saying that he’s not doing too bad a job at governing.