Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo released a brief statement Tuesday afternoon in response to a report published today by the Miami New Times about a clinic in that city that has reportedly dealt performance-enhancing drugs to several Major League Baseball players, including Nationals starter Gio Gonzalez.
In brief, Rizzo and the team aren’t saying anything about the matter until the league gets a chance to check out the case.
“The issue is currently being reviewed by Major League Baseball and it would be inappropriate for the Nationals to comment until that review is completed,” Rizzo said in an emailed statement.
According to the New Times’ report, Gonzalez was seen at Biogenesis, a facility run by Anthony Bosch, who has been previously investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration for allegedly supplying other big-leagues with banned steroids. Gonzalez’s father, Max, told the New Times he was Bosch’s patient, and the pitcher himself denied the allegations in a statement released earlier today over Twitter.