Photo by Tim Brown.

Photo by Tim Brown.

D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton wants to meet with the Secret Service before any changes are made to the security around the White House in response to a massive breach last week.

Unidentified officials told the Washington Post and New York Times that additional security measures, including bag searches at checkpoints, are being considered after 42-year-old Omar J. Gonzalez jumped a fence and entered the White House before being arrested Friday. “Although last night the officers showed tremendous restraint and discipline in dealing with this subject, the location of Gonzalez’s arrest is not acceptable,” the Secret Service said in a statement.

Gonzalez appeared in court today, where it was revealed he had two hatchets, a machete and 800 rounds of ammunition in his car. He is being held without bail.

In a letter to Secret Service Director Julia Pierson, Norton said she wants to “ensure that the least restrictive means be used to address … security concerns.”

“It is important to keep Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House and the surrounding area, including Lafayette Park, Pennsylvania Avenue, 17th Street and 15th Street, as accessible to the public as possible,” Norton said in her letter. “These are First Amendment protected areas used by the public on a daily basis to both see the residence of the President and engage in their constitutional right to petition the government, and must be kept open for their continued daily use. It is particularly imperative that the Pennsylvania Avenue side remain open to the public.”

Norton calls for the closure of an “investigation into the causes of the security breaches before any action is taken.”

“We are very concerned that you are looking for possible remedies before doing an investigation,” she said. “The public must be assured that limiting access or physical changes to the area are necessary, and so far that case has not been made.”