A second small fence added as a supplement to the main fence is shown outside the White House on Pennsylvania Avenue. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)
An extra barrier was placed in front of the White House fence on Pennsylvania Avenue as the Secret Service continues to investigate a breach of security.
Omar J. Gonzalez, a 42-year-old Iraq war veteran, allegedly jumped the fence Friday and entered the White House through an unlocked door. As the Secret Service investigates and considers additional security measures, a second, shorter fence was erected. A spokesperson for the agency did not say how long the new barrier will be in place, according to Bloomberg, but it was described as a “temporary closure.”
Prosecutors says 800 rounds of ammunition, a machete and two hatchets were found in Gonzalez’s car. He was arrested in July after he was allegedly found “carrying a sniper rifle, a sawed-off shotgun and a map of the Washington area with the White House and Masonic Temple in Alexandria, Va., circled,” the Post reported.
Local officials and residents are already concerned about new security measures, including checkpoints, that are being considered. D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton has asked to meet with the Secret Service to discuss the possibilities.
“We are very concerned that you are looking for possible remedies before doing an investigation,” she said in a letter to Secret Service Director Julia Pierson. “The public must be assured that limiting access or physical changes to the area are necessary, and so far that case has not been made.”