Photo by Pak Gwei.

By the beginning of April 2012, seven cab drivers had been arrested for allegedly assaulting a passenger. “One woman was pulled out by her ankles,” Ron Linton, chair of the D.C. Taxicab Commission, told WJLA.

According to reports at the time, so-called “panic buttons” for passengers were to installed by December of that year.

Fast forward to October 2014: The Metropolitan Police Department is looking for a cab driver who allegedly sexually assaulted a passenger early Sunday. Police are investigating the matter, and according to a Cab Commission spokesperson, “DCTC will take appropriate action as warranted by MPD actions.”

But what about the panic buttons, which, last we heard, were supposed to be installed by June of this year? The spokesperson said, “The safety devices should be installed in all D.C. taxis by June 1, 2015.”

The devices, which will allow both passengers and drivers to contact the proper authorities, are part of the latest wave of modernizations coming to cabs.

Update Wednesday: After “further investigation,” police say a D.C. cab was not involved in October’s sexual assault.