Last year saw the inaugural Funk Parade, an all-encompassing festival chock full of music, street performers and dancers among other attractions. While it was meant to celebrate the history culture of the U Street area, the parade was not actually allowed to take place on the namesake street — it ran mostly on the parallel V St. NW. It was a route that the city government suggested, but was found to be far too cramped for the festival’s approximately 30,000 attendees.
While people were stoked on last year’s Funk Parade, they weren’t stoked on the parade’s route, which avoided U Street almost entirely. But now, a petition started by the parade’s organizers are asking the city to officially shut down U Street for the Funk Parade’s second year, WAMU’s Bandwidth first reported.
“Last May’s inaugural Funk Parade was a huge success,” the petition reads. “Unfortunately, city officials refused to permit the parade to pass down U Street. The avenue has been a hub of live music and celebration for decades. It has hosted dozens of parades. Marion Barry’s first inaugural parade passed down U Street. But officials refused to close it briefly for Funk Parade, a celebration of the heart and soul of the city.”
The petition, which has just under 400 signatures at the time of writing, says that their request has the endorsement of their local ANC 1b, which has “carefully reviewed the proposed U Street route, weighed community concerns, and unanimously voted to approve the request.”
Last year, parade organizers had attempted to get the city to shut down U Street for the occasion, and their requests went unanswered. But for this year’s May 2 event, D.C. government officials actually seem rather supportive of the move to close U Street (or at least of the parade in general): A spokesperson for Mayor Muriel Bowser told Bandwidth they’re “working its way through the normal process,” and that they’re a “pro-funk administration.” So the petition’s goal could very well be achieved.