Photo by Nathan Jones.
The Washington Monument reopened this morning at 9 a.m. after repairs to the electrical system for the second time in as many weeks.
There were 63 visitors were on the observation deck when the elevator outage began on Monday. All but one came down via the stairs, and the remaining visitor was carried down on an evacuation stair chair. It took 30 minutes to evacuate the two NPS employees who were stuck on the elevator when it lost power. The attraction remained closed for the next three days.
The repairs included the realignment of the elevator car and tests of the electrical system, according to National Park Service spokesman Mike LItterst. He said there were no issues with the reopening this morning.
Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton said she plans to meet with NPS officials to discuss the mechanical issues. “The Washington Monument’s elevator is essential to the Monument itself, serving over 2,400 visitors each day, who come to experience our city’s best view,” Norton said in a statement. She added that NPS suspects the issue is related to power issues, but the elevator has been malfunctioning since the monument reopened last year.
“The elevator takes a tremendous toll every day, logging 13 hours a day, seven days a week,” Norton said. “I am asking NPS officials to look beyond the power outages, an obvious troubling factor, and propose solutions for preventing further elevator malfunctions.”
Rachel Sadon