Photo by Andrew Toth/Getty Images for AWXII
Comedy Central comedian Larry Wilmore will host the last White House Correspondents’ Dinner under the Obama administration. The event is slated for April 30, 2016.
“The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore” host’s edgy and provocative style means he’s “up to the task of skewering politicians of all ideological stripes,” said Carol Lee, White House Correspondents Association president in a statement, adding that national news media should also beware.
Earlier this year, Wilmore begged Republican voters to keep Trump in the race: “You know, Republican voters, this one time—I’m not going to chastise you, I’m not going to ridicule you,” Wilmore said. “You keep doing what you’re doing so I can keep doing what I’m doing.”
He’s also dumped on Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Dr. Ben Carson, and Hillary Clinton in his 2016 presidential election coverage.
In January, Wilmore took over Stephen Colbert’s time slot on Comedy Central. Now he must fill his shoes again after Colbert famously spared no punches when roasting President Bush at the 2006 correspondents’ dinner.
The annual dinner,also obnoxiously known as Nerd Prom, is attended by the president, first lady, senior government officials, and members of the press—but mostly Hollywood stars.
Past hosts have included Seth Meyers, Lay Leno, Wanda Sykes, Cedric The Entertainer, ad Drew Carey. Cecily Strong did the honors this year.