Photo by Adam Fagen.
Federal prosecutors dismissed charges against a woman who, according to police and passengers, attempted to snatch a baby out of her stroller on a Metro train.
The Washington Post reports that a hearing scheduled for today was canceled after psychiatrists told a D.C. superior court judge that Monique McKnight was not competent to stand trial. Prosecutors agreed last week to drop charges of attempted kidnapping and child cruelty.
After her arrest, McKnight was ordered to St. Elizabeths, the District’s psychiatric facility, for treatment.
As a result of the psychiatrists’ findings following a series of examinations last year, McKnight’s public defender, John Fowler, petitioned prosecutors to dismiss the charges against his client. Fowler said McKnight would likely have mental health challenges “throughout the rest of her life.” He also argued that for McKnight, having a felony case pending against her would cause extra “anxiety and stress” while she worked on regaining competency.
On September 2, 2015, a mom was sitting with her two-year-old on a busy Orange Line train when another woman tried to pull the little girl out of her stroller. The child was strapped in, and a fellow passenger successfully intervened to pull the woman off before she could get her out, according to a Metro Transit Police spokesman. The child wasn’t injured in the incident.
“Out of nowhere, I saw this baby in the air, and a woman was screaming ‘my baby, my baby,'” said Brandon Carroll, who was in the car heading to work near Metro Center. “At first I thought she was having a seizure or something, because you just don’t think, ‘oh someone is trying to steal a baby.’ And then it clicked.”
Rachel Kurzius