Photo by Adam Gerard

The Metropolitan Police Department has released a video showing three suspects involved in the assault and robbery of a veteran in an alleged hate crime that took place outside of a McDonald’s last week.

The footage shows Christopher A. Marquez, a former Marine, exiting the restaurant and taking a blow to the head by the first suspect. Then, another person took his wallet, which carried a student ID, credit cards, and cash. The final suspect kicked Marquez, and the trio fled the scene.

The incident occurred around 9:40 p.m. on the 900 block of E Street NW on February 12.

In an interview with the Daily Caller, Marquez said that the attack happened after several black youths asked if he believed that black lives matter. After ignoring them, he was called a racist, he said, though he continued to eat.

After that encounter, he said that he was knocked unconscious when he left the establishment. The suspects charged over $115 on various credit cards at a liquor store, Five Guys, and Walmart, according to the Daily Caller, which first reported the story.

Marquez, who is Hispanic, attends American University and ran unsuccessfully for Congress in 2014 in California.

Yesterday, Mayor Muriel Bowser announced a program that would give rebates to people who install private cameras on buildings in the District, in an effort to deter crime and assist police investigations.