Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images
If anyone told you this time last year that the only man between Donald Trump and the Republican nomination was a man who gobbled spaghetti like each noodle was a delegate, you might not have believed them.
And now that man—Ohio Governor John Kasich—is officially suspending his campaign.
This shouldn’t come as much of a surprise, considering Kasich only won his home state of Ohio and has 153 delegates in total—about a tenth of Trump’s current count. Barring a contested convention, he has no mathematical path to the necessary 1237 delegates.
The Republican National Committee already counted him out last night, following Texas Senator Ted Cruz bowing out of the race.
.@realDonaldTrump will be presumptive @GOP nominee, we all need to unite and focus on defeating @HillaryClinton #NeverClinton
— Reince Priebus (@Reince) May 4, 2016
But as recently as this morning, Kasich seemed to be full-speed ahead, tweeting May 4th jokes about him being “the only hope” to beat Hillary Clinton in the fall.
Our Only Hope#MayThe4thBeWithYou #StarWarsDayhttps://t.co/Bi2qNGw2oM
— John Kasich (@JohnKasich) May 4, 2016
Trump called Kasich’s decision to stay in the race “ridiculous,” telling the New York Times “I guess he likes the food in California.”
Since then, though, the governor cancelled a D.C.-area event in lieu of an announcement at 5 p.m. in Ohio. A senior campaign adviser told NBC News that Kasich will suspend his campaign.
While you wait for his speech (and the end times), watch Kasich earnestly defend Linkin Park.
Rachel Kurzius