President Donald Trump dances with wife Melania Trump at the Liberty Inaugural Ball. (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)
The First Lady has settled a defamation lawsuit against a 70-year-old Maryland blogger who wrote about rumors that she had been a high-end escort.
Webster Tarpley is the Tarpley.net blogger and author of books like Obama: The Postmodern Coup—Making of a Manchurian Candidate. Over the summer, he wrote a post called “Where Is Melania Trump?” that outlined how she was “reportedly obsessed by fear of salacious revelations by wealthy clients from her time as a high-end escort.”
After hearing from lawyers representing Trump, Tarpley issued a formal retraction on August 22.
That retraction was not enough. Trump still filed a defamation suit against Tarpley, along with the parent company of the Daily Mail (which also printed a retraction), in early September for insinuating that she had been an escort, which her lawyers said was “despicable, abhorrent, intentional, malicious, and oppressive, and thus justifies an award of punitive damages.”
Tarpley.net is the 121,407th most popular website in the U.S. and the 388,203th globally, according to SimilarWeb.
In a motion to dismiss, Tarpley’s lawyers argued he immediately complied with requests for a retraction and apology, and that Trump brought the lawsuit “in bad faith.” However, a Montgomery County judge ruled in late January that the lawsuit could move forward.
Now, Charles Harder, Trump’s attorney, says the suit has been settled for a “substantial sum,” according to Buzzfeed.
“I acknowledge that these false statements were very harmful and hurtful to Mrs. Trump and her family, and therefore I sincerely apologize to Mrs. Trump, her son, her husband and her parents for making these false statements,” Tarpley said in a statement on Tuesday obtained by Law Newz.
Harder also represented Hulk Hogan in a lawsuit that led to the closure of the blog Gawker.
While Trump’s lawsuit with Tarpley is over, she refiled her case against the Daily Mail in a New York court on Monday after a Maryland judge dismissed it for lack of standing.
In the Daily Mail suit filed Monday, Trump says that the news site’s story imperiled the “unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, as an extremely famous and well-known person … to launch a broad-based commercial brand in multiple product categories, each of which could have garnered multi-million dollar business relationships.”
According to ThinkProgress, those deals included “apparel, accessories, shoes, jewelry, cosmetics, hair care, skin care, and fragrance.”
Rachel Kurzius