The U.S. Attorney’s Office for D.C. has closed its investigation and announced today that there is insufficient evidence to charge Metropolitan Police Department officers in the death of Sherman Evans, who was fatally shot by police near Catholic University last year.

Police released body-worn camera footage a week after the incident, which took place on June 27. It shows officers arriving at the 100 block of Varnum Street NE to find Evans holding a BB gun that the attorney’s office describes as “virtually identical in appearance to a real firearm.” Police repeatedly tell Evans to drop his weapon, but he refuses.

The attorney’s office says that after several minutes, Evans points his weapon at the officers and walks toward them, at which point the officers started shooting. However, that is not captured by the cameras.

The shooting isn’t seen in the video because the officer with the body-worn camera moved behind a car. But gunshots are heard, then officers are seen trying to revive an unconscious Evans. An officer is heard saying he shot Evans because he raised his gun.

The 63-year-old man was taken to a hospital where he later died.

In addition to reviewing the footage, investigators listened to a 911 call in which they say Evans himself told a dispatcher that a man was in front of his building brandishing a gun. This is the call that prompted officers to go to the scene.

A toxicology report showed the presence of narcotics in Evans’ blood and urine, according to the release.

The investigation also included interviews with witnesses and reviews of autopsy and forensic reports.

After a “careful review of all of the evidence,” the attorney’s office said there is insufficient evidence “to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the officers used excessive force under the circumstances” and it won’t pursue federal criminal civil rights or D.C. charges against the officers. There is sufficient evidence, they say, to support the officers’ claims of acting in self defense.