A still shot of footage of the violence that erupted outside the Turkish ambassador’s residence this spring.
A grand jury indicted 15 Turkish security officials and four other men after an attack on protesters outside the Turkish ambassador’s residence in May.
D.C. police helped break up the bloody melee, which occurred during President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s visit to the United States. Video footage later emerged showing that the Turkish president witnessed the violence, which injured at least nine people.
Two people were arrested on site, and D.C. leaders pledged that the rest of those involved would be held responsible.
“What we saw yesterday—a violent attack on a peaceful demonstration—is an affront to D.C. values and our rights as Americans,” Mayor Muriel Bowser said in a statement at the time.
Police issued arrest warrants for 12 security guards and several others back in June. “Rarely in my 28 years of policing have I seen what happened in Sheridan Circle,” Police Chief Peter Newsham said at a press conference announcing the charges. “You had peaceful demonstrators that were physically assaulted in the District of Columbia.”
Newsham called on the suspects to turn themselves in, but Erdogan’s team had already returned to Turkey and it remains unclear if they will return to the U.S. to answer the charges.
Tuesday’s indictment added three more Turkish officials, bringing the total number of indictments up to 19.
“The members and associates of this group were bound together by their aversion towards a group of persons who oppose Mr. Erdoğan, support pro-Kurdish political parties in Turkey and Syria, and are of ethnic Kurdish background from Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Turkey (collectively, the ‘anti-Erdoğan protesters’),” the indictment reads. “The members and associates of the conspiracy used threats and physical violence—intensely kicking at protesters—to dispel the anti-Erdoğan protesters, attack the anti-Erdoğan protesters, and blatantly ignore American law enforcement commands to cease the violence.”
All have been indicted on a charge of conspiracy to commit a crime of violence, a felony that carries up to 15 years in prison, with a hate crime enhancement that could multiply a sentence by 1.5 times. Some are also facing assault charges, including simple assault, assault with a dangerous weapon, or both.
Only two of the defendants have been arrested; they are due in court on September 7. The remainder are at large.
Previously:
D.C. Police Issue Warrants For 12 Turkish Security Officials In Embassy Attack
Two Men Arrested Over Violence Involving Turkish Security Forces
House Of Representatives Unanimously Votes To Condemn Turkish Security Attack On D.C. Protesters
Video: Footage Shows Erdogan Witnessed Guards Beating Protesters
D.C. Police Will Pursue Additional Arrests In Violent Clash Between Turkish Guards, Protesters
Video: Nine Injured In Violence Outside Turkish Ambassador’s Residence
Rachel Sadon