Photo by ep_jhu

Photo by ep_jhu

UPDATE: Most of Metrorail’s 7000-series trains will run again in time for rush hour service this afternoon, according to a Metro release.

Officials say they’ve completed a review of the transit systems’ inspection procedures for the 7000-series railcars after Metro union ATU Local 689 said a worker was electrically shocked during a railcar inspection.

Metro halted inspections of the railcars, which resulted in about 18 percent fewer trains being available for service this morning.

The procedures currently in place “are appropriate and consistent with manufacturer guidelines,” according to the review, which was conducted by Metro engineers and engineers from the railcar manufacturer.

As such, crews will be briefed on safety procedures and resume mechanical inspections of the railcars.

About 20 more 7000-series trains than this morning will be available for the afternoon rush hour, and customers can expect a relatively normal afternoon commute, according to the release. Metro will place more cars in service as crews catch up on inspections.

ORIGINAL: Metro officials say customers should expect shorter trains, longer waits, and possible crowding today as officials review a safety issue with its 7000-series railcars.

On Saturday, a railcar mechanic experienced an electrical shock while inspecting ground brushes underneath one of the railcars, according to a release from Metro union ATU Local 689.

The incident “could have ended in death or serious injury,” according to the release, which states that after investigating, union officials found that this was the fourth safety incident involving the 7000-series cars in 2017.

Metro released a statement saying that the union raised concerns about inspection procedures of the railcars, which prompted Metro to voluntarily suspend mechanical inspections. Since the cars aren’t undergoing their daily inspection, Metro says fewer 8-car trains are available for riders, which can lead to longer waits between trains and possible crowding.

Union officials say that Metro knew of these electrical shocks since at least January, “but covered it up and only decided to take action today because there was a victim involved who could have been killed.”

They are demanding that Metro bring all 7000-series trains into the shop until all employees that come in contact with them are informed of all hazards and properly trained on maintenance. They are also asking that repairs be made before the trains begin servicing passengers again.

Metro’s 7000-series trains began running on the Blue Line in April 2015. They are equipped with event recorders, digital video surveillance systems, and features that help keep cars upright and in-line in a collision. The cars also feature nonslip flooring instead of carpet, padded blue seats replace the orange vinyl, and LED screens show route information.

The new cars allowed them to retire the entire 1000-series (which had been in service since the system’s opening in 1976) and the 4000-series (which date to 1991 and had been a major headache for Metro).

Metro officials have scheduled meetings with the railcar manufacturer and union representatives today to discuss inspection concerns around the 7000-series. They will release an update this afternoon.