A week after widespread community outrage over reported immigrant arrests in the District, Immigrations and Customs Enforcement has released details about its recent operations in the District and Virginia.
As a part of what it’s calling “Operation Eagle’s Shield,” ICE arrested 132 residents of D.C. and Virginia between July 9 and 20, according to the press release. It’s unclear how many had criminal records.
Spokesperson Justine Whelan told DCist via email that Operation Eagle’s Shield specifically targeted people with previous criminal convictions. But she also said that “officers often encounter additional suspects who may be in the United States in violation of federal immigration laws.”
Last week, immigrant advocacy groups held a protest in Columbia Heights after reports that ICE had arrested up to 20 people in D.C. Advocates alleged that ICE arrived at Sarbin Towers, an apartment building on 16th Street NW in Mount Pleasant, and began pulling people off the street and arresting them. Whelan told DCist at the time that ICE does not engage in “indiscriminate raids” of the type that activists were describing.
ICE is pursuing current criminal charges against 37 of those arrested for felony violations, including reentry after removal from the United States and unlawful possession of a firearm.
The press release specifies that all 132 immigrants were arrested on “criminal and civil violations.” Entering the United States illegally is a civil violation. ICE says it counts several violent criminals among those it arrested, including leaders of the gang MS-13 and a number of sex offenders.
Of the arrestees, ICE reports that 131 are men and one is a woman. They come from 13 countries. Friday marked the last day of the enforcement operation, though it’s unclear what impact that will have on arrests in the region.
Natalie Delgadillo
(