Friends and family pose with a painting of Makiyah Wilson after a candlelight vigil in the Clay Terrace courtyard in Northeast D.C. where the 10-year-old was shot and killed on July 16. (Photo by Tyrone Turner / WAMU)
Two people have been arrested and charged with first-degree murder for the July killing of 10-year-old Makiyah Wilson.
On Saturday, police arrested Qujuan Thomas, 20, and on Monday, they took Quentin Michals, 21, into custody. Both have been charged with first-degree murder while armed in relation to what police said was an “indiscriminate” shooting on a crowd gathered in a building courtyard in Northeast D.C. on a pleasant July evening.
Wilson, who was going out to buy ice cream, was injured in the barrage of bullets, and was later pronounced dead. Four adults were also hit and hospitalized. Her killing shocked the community, and prompted her mother to call her killers “cowards.”
“Her death brought immeasurable pain to her family, friends, classmates and neighbors. It shocked the conscience of our entire community and vividly demonstrated the dangers caused by illegal firearms and the wanton disregard for human life displayed that night,” said Mayor Muriel Bowser during a Saturday press conference to announce Thomas’s arrest. “We are committed to delivering justice.”
After Wilson’s death, D.C. officials offered an award of $45,000 for information leading to the arrest of her killers, more than the $25,000 reward common in homicide cases in the city. And while D.C. and police officials expressed satisfaction that arrests have been made, they also said that at least two more suspects are still being sought.
“You can rest assured that we will not rest until all of them are held accountable for Makiyah’s murder,” said MPD Chief Pete Newsham on Saturday.
Wilson’s killing comes amidst a spike in homicides this year, primarily in areas east of the Anacostia River. So far this year there have been more than 100 homicides, close to 40 percent more than the same time in 2017.
“Makiyah Wilson should still be with us. She should have returned to school… and this weekend she should have been with her family and friends doing what 10-year-old girls do,” said Bowser on Saturday. “But she’s not. And we won’t be satisfied until we find justice.”
This story originally appeared on WAMU.
Martin Austermuhle