Protestors rally in Columbia Heights on July 17, 2018, as part of a protest against a series of arrests by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. (Photo by Elly Yu / WAMU)
D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine is suing U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for information about a series of immigration arrests that took place in the District over the summer.
From July 9 to July 20, ICE arrested 132 people in D.C. and Virginia in what the agency called Operation Eagle’s Shield. The agency detained 12 people in the District, which prompted outcry from community advocates, who say officers conducted raids, including at an apartment building the Mount Pleasant neighborhood.
Just after the arrests took place, Racine asked ICE for more information about the people detained, why they were detained and the agency’s enforcement policies through a Freedom of Information Act Request.
In the lawsuit filed Monday, Racine said ICE failed to respond to the request, and is asking for a judge to order the agency to release the information.
“We are very concerned that District residents may have been racially profiled and unfairly targeted during ICE raids in the city this summer,” Racine said in a news release. “We are also eager to learn more about the individuals who were detained, including their current status.”
A spokesperson for ICE said the agency does not comment on pending litigation as a matter of policy. The agency previously said that it “does not conduct raids or target individuals indiscriminately.”
This story originally appeared on WAMU.