D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine (Photo by City Year)
D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine announced Tuesday that his office is investigating the Catholic Archdiocese of Washington for any signs of a clergy sex abuse cover-up.
This makes D.C. the 14th state or district to investigate the church for covering up sex crimes, according to the AG’s office—a number that spiked after a Pennsylvania grand jury report this year discovered a massive coverup operation by church leaders, with more than 300 accused priests and at least 1,000 child victims.
Two D.C.-area church leaders were implicated in that report: Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, who was accused of sexually abusing minors and adults, and Cardinal Donald Wuerl, who was accused of moving accused priests to other parishes and failing to protect children in some instances (both cardinals’ reported misdeeds took place while they were working in Pennsylvania). The Pope accepted the resignations of McCarrick in July and of Wuerl in October.
Racine said at the council breakfast that his office is investigating whether the church has violated any not-for-profit laws by covering up abuse.
“The reason we’re using our authority under the not-for-profit and charities section is because we have subpoena authority, and of course not-for-profits cannot be engaged in concealment of illegal [actions],” Racine said. The AG’s office will not have criminal authority over any clergyman found either to have abused children, or to have covered it up, Racine said. Any potential criminal actions would be referred to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
Last week, the Washington Archdiocese released the names of 31 clergymen who had been “credibly accused” of sexual abuse over decades, from 1948 to 1996. None of them are still active clergymen, and more than half are now dead. The church claims that no new accusations of abuse have been made in the archdiocese for 20 years.
The purpose of this investigation, Racine said, is to determine whether those 31 names are truly the only allegations the archdiocese has known about.
Racine also announced an online complaint form that allows survivors to report their abuse.
“OAG will review all allegations as part of its ongoing investigation into whether the Archdiocese of Washington covered up allegations of sexual abuse of minors. Where appropriate, OAG will also refer information to the proper criminal authorities,” the AG’s office said in a press release.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office for D.C. announced on Monday that it launched a hotline for clergy abuse survivors as well.
Natalie Delgadillo