A Red Line train at Union Station.

Elvert Barnes / Flickr

Metro Transit Police said that it has made two arrests in the assault of a blind man and a woman who came to his aid that took place on the Metro earlier this week.

Darion Rivers, 18, of Prince George’s County, was charged with two counts of assault while his companion, a juvenile whose name is being withheld, was charged with three counts of assault.

The blind man boarded a Red Line train with his seeing eye dog in the direction of Shady Grove at Rhode Island Avenue station on Monday when he accidentally bumped into one of the two teenagers.

Rivers and his companion allegedly approached the blind man and began to verbally threaten him, with a witness reporting that one of the teenagers said, “Don’t push me again, you blind motherfucker, or I’ll smack the shit out you,” according to a report from the Metro Transit Police Department.

A woman, who was described as elderly by a witness, intervened and attempted to defuse the altercation before the suspects began shouting obscenities at her, too.

“The younger one responded, ‘Bitch, shut your ass up before I smack the shit out you, too,” a witness reported to PoPville. “I ain’t assault no one, bitch… I’m about to assault you though, you keep running your bitch-ass mouth.’”

The witness reported that as she attempted to call police, the suspects tried to grab her phone, “however she was able to hold on to her phone, call the police and later video record the altercation,” according to transit police.

The altercation ended when the train reached Union Station and the suspects disembarked. No injuries were reported and no medical attention was required, but passengers were deeply disturbed by the incident.

The witness told PoPville that a Harris Teeter worker who went to the station manager to report the incident was “laughed [at] dismissively (or what seemed to me to be a dismissive laugh)” and told “Yeah, we know. The cops are taking care of it.”

Another witness involved in the altercation reported on Twitter that it took hours for Metro to respond to his report.

“I was one of the two men who intervened and was subsequently attacked,” he tweeted. “I attempted to file a report to Metro Police at 9 a.m. I was told that the assigned officer would call me back. I’m still waiting [as of noon].”

After the story picked up traction on social media (PoPville’s post received over 150 comments), the witness reported that he finally heard from WMATA officials.

“The whole incident really, really disturbed me,” wrote the initial witness to PoPville, “from the assault (both verbal and physical) of the blind and elderly by two kids, to the non-response by the station manager… Because if the station managers aren’t there to protect or serve passengers, what is their ultimate function?”

After three attempts at a comment from WMATA media relations, a spokesperson said: “It’s a simple assault, it’s not something we’re going to do an interview on.”