A Coast Guard lieutenant in Silver Spring accused by prosecutors of being a domestic terrorist and stockpiling weapons for attacks on Democratic politicians, left-leaning activists, and journalists will be released before his trial, a federal magistrate ruled on Thursday.
Prosecutors said that 50-year-old Christopher Paul Hasson was “bent on committing acts dangerous to human life that are intended to affect governmental conduct” in court documents that charged him with gun and drug crimes. He was arrested on February 15 and has been detained since then while awaiting trial. He pleaded not guilty last month.
But while the U.S. Attorney’s Office alleged that the drug and gun charges were just the “tip of the iceberg,” and presented him as a white supremacist plotting “to murder innocent civilians on a scale rarely seen in this country,” prosecutors have not charged him with any terrorism-related crimes. That’s why U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul Day granted Hasson’s defense lawyers’ motion for his pre-trial release, AP reports.
In federal court in Greenbelt, Day said he still had “grave concerns” about Hasson, who is “going to have to have a whole lot of supervision,” per AP. Day said he would order home confinement and electronic monitoring for the Coast Guard lieutenant.
Hasson will be released if he can meet conditions set by the court. Those will be hammered out at a forthcoming hearing, during which prosecutors will argue for his continued detention. Until then, Hasson will remain in custody.
Previously:
What We Learned From The Court Documents For The Silver Spring ‘Domestic Terrorist’ In The Coast Guard
Rachel Kurzius