Three people, including a 15-year-old high school freshman, were killed over the holiday weekend, stoking community concerns of a possible repeat of last year’s spike in deadly violence.
Maurice Scott was not the intended target of the Sunday morning shooting just steps from Somerset Prep in Congress Heights where Scott was a student, police said. An additional three people, including a 9-year-old girl, were also caught in the crossfire and sustained non-life threatening injuries.
“By all accounts, Maurice was a good kid,” Metropolitan Police Chief Peter Newsham said in a Monday press conference, denouncing the shooting as a “senseless” act of violence.
“Someone who is alive and well today won’t be in the next 48 hours. Let that sink in,” Ward 8 Councilman Trayon White wrote in a Facebook post alongside a video of a smiling Maurice Scott explaining his love of basketball, school, and food.
A fundraiser has been started to help his family pay for funeral and memorial costs.
Two adult men also killed over the long weekend in apparently separate incidents in Southeast. And five people, including a child, were injured in a shooting outside the Barry Farm recreation center on Monday afternoon.
The weekend’s homicides brought the total number of killings so far this year to 63, one fewer than the slayings recorded at this point last year. But the instances of violence have stoked concerns of a bloody summer season as the warm weather coaxes more people outdoors.
Chief Newsham addressed concerns of summertime violence and said police were preparing for the possibility through the Summer Crime Prevention Initiative, which increases police staffing in certain areas from early May to late August.
“This will not be the new normal, so anyone who suggests that doesn’t understand the resiliency of Washington, D.C.,” he said.
This story originally appeared on WAMU.