Now that President Donald Trump “definitely plans to speak” from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial on July 4, it looks like he wants some razzmatazz in the form of another fireworks display.
The Washington Post reports that government officials and fireworks experts are working to make a second fireworks show happen at Trump’s “A Salute To America,” in addition to the display that occurs each year on the National Mall. Details remain scant on how—if at all—these displays would interact.
The new Trump display would come from Fireworks by Grucci, a Long Island company that has previously worked on Trump-related events and inaugurations, per the Post, whereas the original display will come from New Jersey firm Garden State Fireworks Inc., which put on the National Mall fireworks display on July 4 from 2013-2017. (Those aren’t to be confused with A Capitol Fourth, the annual, unrelated concert broadcast by PBS.)
Back in February, Trump tweeted that people should “HOLD THE DATE” for one of the “biggest gatherings in the history of Washington, D.C. on July 4th,” including a “major fireworks display, entertainment and an address by your favorite President, me!” A day later, he clarified that his event, which he called “A Salute To America,” would be one and the same as the National Park Service’s annual Independence Day showcase.
Since then, though, the Trump administration has made changes to the yearly tradition, including moving the site of the fireworks from the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool to West Potomac Park to allow for a bigger crowd. Now, in another shift, the administration appears to be pushing for a second fireworks display.
“We are looking forward to an announcement from the White House that has all the details of the events, including any information on, perhaps, more fireworks,” National Park Service spokesperson Mike Litterst told the Post on Tuesday. NPS has not responded to a request for comment from DCist. As of a week ago, with a month before July 4, D.C. officials remained in the dark about the details of the Trump administration’s plans, which will also involve logistical coordination with the city.
“A Salute To America” comes after Trump sought to plan a military parade on either July 4 or Veterans Day, drawing inspiration from France’s Bastille Day. He blamed the D.C. government for the high costs that led to the cancellation of the parade, claims that Mayor Muriel Bowser refuted.
D.C. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton is among those criticizing the changes. She says Trump is politicizing a typically nonpartisan event. “He failed to take over Veterans Day,” Norton told DCist last month. “He’s trying again in the run up to an election year to commandeer July Fourth, and that’s like trying to take over Christmas.”
Previously:
Yep, Trump Is Definitely Speaking At The Mall’s July 4 Celebrations
D.C. Officials Still Aren’t Sure Exactly What’s Going On With Trump’s Fourth Of July Celebration
With Trump Involved, Fourth Of July Has Split Into At Least Two Celebrations On The Mall
D.C.’s July Fourth Fireworks Celebration Is Gonna Have A Lot More Trump This Year
Trump Announces A Fourth Of July ‘Gathering’ (Plus Fireworks) At The Lincoln Memorial
Rachel Kurzius