President Donald Trump kicked off his White House address on environmental issues Monday by praising his own “Salute to America,” saying the Fourth of July celebration on the National Mall was a “tremendous success” that he plans to hold again next year and for the “foreseeable future.”
“It was a wonderful day for all Americans, and based on its tremendous success, we’re just making the decision—and I think we can say we’ve made the decision—to do it again next year and maybe we can say for the foreseeable future,” Trump said.
Trump’s “Salute” drew thousands of supporters and protesters to the capital in what was dubbed a celebration of the country’s military. It included a parade (with tanks), flyovers, musical performances and a nearly hour-long speech from Trump on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.
“In spite of the heavy rain—and it was really heavy—we had a remarkable ‘Salute to America’ on the National Mall,” Trump said. “Incredible, I think.”
There aren’t official crowd estimates, but photos showed a significant turnout at the Reflecting Pool. Metro ridership was up slightly over the year before, but was far short of the system’s busiest days.
Meanwhile, Democratic Senators Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, Tom Udall of New Mexico, and Patrick Leahy of Vermont, who had been critical of Trump politicizing an American holiday, called for an investigation into how much the event cost D.C. taxpayers.
Previously:
July 4: Two Arrests, A Deflated And Re-Inflated Protest Balloon, And An Apolitical Salute To America