A Montgomery County police officer has been criminally charged wtih second degree assault and misconduct in office while making an arrest.

Brendan CC 2.0 / Flickr

A Montgomery County Police officer was charged with excessive use of force Tuesday after a video showing a suspect under arrest with a knee to his head came to light last week. It is the second recent case of police misconduct in the county.

Officer Kevin Moris was charged with second-degree assault and misconduct in office in the arrest of 19-year-old Arnaldo Pesoa of Silver Spring. Pesoa was charged with drug possession with intent to distribute and second-degree assault against Moris.

Interim Police Chief Marcus Jones said that after looking at the video footage and other evidence, he reported the incident to State’s Attorney John McCarthy’s office to make a charging decision.

“Anyone who wants to join the profession has to understand that we are held highly accountable to the public and the expectations of the public,” said Jones, who is also a candidate for the chief position.

McCarthy, appearing Tuesday at a press conference alongside Jones, said that the Montgomery County Police Department has a reputation for being one of the best in the country.

“It’s a sad day when Marcus and I stand here having to charge a Montgomery County Police officer,” McCarthy said. “We want to build on the public trust in the police department that has been long-standing in this county.”

The video does not not show what happened before the incident occurred.  It does show Pesoa with a knee to his head and his mouth bloodied.

The video also shows two uniformed officers in the video and possibly other plain clothed officers. McCarthy’s office refused to comment on how many officers are in the video and whether or not they will also be charged.

In May, the department came under fire for another incident in which an officer used a racial slur in an interaction with a group of black men. Montgomery County Police said that allegation of misconduct by its employees was being investigated by the Internal Affairs Division.

These incidents of police misconduct in office come as the county council holds a public hearing Tuesday night to discuss creating a civilian review board to oversee the police department.

“This is the way that both the council as a body and residents themselves can be engaged in the hard work of looking at the disparate stop data, looking at the arrest data, looking at those issues of racial profiling,” Council member Will Jawando said in a video on Twitter last month.

Jawando was pulled over by Maryland State Police last month and asked for his identification. He Tweeted about his interaction with the police officer.

This story originally appeared on WAMU.