A look at the Metro board meeting on July 11.

Jordan Pascale / WAMU

Back in July, Ward 3 Councilmember Mary Cheh voted against emergency legislation that would have removed Corbett Price as D.C.’s voting representative on the Metro Board of Directors.

Price had misled the public about the conclusions of an ethics committee inquiry into Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans, who was then serving as the Metro board chairman. Both Price and Evans initially maintained that Evans had been cleared of all wrongdoing, which was not the case. The measure, introduced by At-large Councilmember Elissa Silverman, failed, garnering four votes. At the time of the council’s vote, Cheh said that the removal of Price from the board was premature.

But Cheh doesn’t think that anymore. This week, she called on Price to resign. And she says she’s not alone on the D.C. Council, though she declined to share the details of her conversations with colleagues.

What changed her mind was a Washington Post article published last Friday about behind-the-scenes dealings at the Metro board, based on more than 900 pages of internal documents. While the story focused on reports of Evans’ wrongdoing, including his threats to fire WMATA officials to prevent the release of the ethics inquiry outcome, it did not paint a pretty picture of Price.

Price reportedly worked hard to prevent the disclosure of Evans’ violation, including pressuring Metro’s general counsel in phone calls described in the Post as “literally harassing,” blocking attempts to inform the entire Metro board of the committee’s investigation, and not showing up to full board meetings to deny a quorum during meetings when the whole board would have been briefed.

Price has not responded to a request for comment. He told the Post that his phone calls to Metro’s lawyer were the result of his frustration at the lack of information he had, and said that it was his “understanding that there was no requirement for [the information about Evans] to be made public.”

Cheh says that the behavior as reported “really undercuts any confidence I have that he could faithfully represent the values of the District of Columbia on that board,” adding that “we have proof enough that his behavior was very unprofessional, improper, and even, in my mind, disgraceful because he really was complicit with Jack Evans the whole time.”

Price is serving his second term as a voting representative for D.C. on the Metro board, after Mayor Muriel Bowser first appointed him in 2015. Each jurisdiction on the Metro board—the District, Maryland, Virginia, and the federal government—gets two voting members. In D.C., the tradition is for the council to appoint one of the members and the mayor to appoint the other. The council’s appointment, Evans, stepped down in June after the release of a memo written by a law firm outlining “a pattern of conduct in which Evans attempted to and did help his friends and clients and served their interests, rather than the interests of WMATA.”

As of the beginning of this week, Bowser remained steadfast in her support of Price. On Monday, she told reporters that she still had confidence in him. However, on Wednesday, she declined to answer a direct yes or no question about whether she still had confidence in Price. Her office has not responded to a request for comment.

Price donated $2,000 to Bowser’s 2014 mayoral campaign and $10,000 to her inaugural committee, WAMU reported in 2015.

The D.C. Council approved his reappointment late this spring, before the revelations about the Evans inquiry emerged. The vote for the extension of Price’s term to 2023 was near-unanimous, except for Silverman.

“The argument that was made was that he was this financial wizard,” Silverman tells DCist. “There is a tremendous body of evidence called the United Medical Center which calls into question Mr. Price’s credibility. Here is somebody who we hired to manage a very fragile healthcare institution in Ward 8 and what Mr. Price did was put it in a further financial hole. That’s all the evidence we need.”

Price’s firm, Veritas of Washington, was hired in 2016 to run the city’s only public hospital, but its contract was not extended the following year amid allegations of patient neglect and the closure of its obstetrics ward.

Silverman says that her concerns with Price have only grown. “We have to be concerned about our credibility as a regional partner,” she says, pointing to media accounts that indicate that “Corbett does not have the trust of fellow board members.”

Christian Dorsey, one of Virginia’s voting representatives to the Metro board, declined to speak directly about the most recent allegations against Price, because he is not on the ethics committee. But, in reference to Price misleading the public about the outcome of the ethics committee’s investigation, he tells DCist that “if you can be in the room and have a dramatically different interpretation of what is the objective truth, it does raise questions.” He says he has confidence that D.C. elected officials will “make whatever decision they think needs to be made.”

D.C. Council Chairman Phil Mendelson was opposed to efforts to unseat Price earlier this summer. While he is currently out of the country, his spokesperson, Lindsey Walton, tells DCist that “increasing numbers of members have been concerned with Mr. Price.” Walton says that the topic of Price is on the agenda for Mendelson’s conversations with the mayor when he returns.

Cheh says that she’s leaving all options open with respect to Price for when the council returns from recess in September, though her preference is that he resigns before then. She does not have plans to have a conversation with Price.

“The proof’s in front of my face,” says Cheh. “There’s nothing more to discuss. Really, he should resign.”