Metro officials said service had been suspended between L’Enfant Plaza and Anacostia stations, and D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser cautioned that people should avoid the area.

m01229 / Flickr

Update 12/26/19 3:01 p.m.:

Vito Maggiolo, a spokesman for the D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department, said the leak had been contained and has flow had stopped around 2:50 p.m. Maggiolo said EMS crews will check nearby buildings for any residual gas, adding that Metro service is expected to return to normal service “shortly.” There were no injuries as a result of the incident.

Maggiolo said people will be able to return to the area once crews have determined there is no residual gas.

Original:

A gas leak near the Navy Yard Metro station prompted Metro to suspend Green Line service and tenants to evacuate nearby apartments, officials said Thursday.

D.C. fire officials said that a construction crew struck a 2-inch, high-pressure gas line around 12:30 p.m. on Half Street SE, just outside of the Metro station.

https://twitter.com/dcfireems/status/1210253589588918278

Washington Gas spokesman Brian Edwards said the leak was a result of “third-party damage” to the gas line. Edwards said Washington Gas crews were in the process of stopping the flow of gas and will then make repairs.

Metro officials said service had been suspended between L’Enfant Plaza and Anacostia stations on the Green Line, and D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser cautioned that people should avoid the area.

“Our team is working to safely address this incident,” she tweeted. “If you are in the area: Please follow first responders’ instructions.”

https://twitter.com/MurielBowser/status/1210266970911903746

WAMU has reached out to D.C. Fire and Emergency Services for comment.

This story originally appeared on WAMU.  It has been updated to reflect new information about the gas leak being contained.