The aftermath of the deadly fire on Kennedy Street.

/ D.C. Fire and EMS

The owner of an illegal Brightwood rental where a fatal fire killed two people—one of whom was a nine-year-old boy—in August has been indicted on charges of murder.

The Washington Post was the first to report that James Walker was arrested in Baltimore on Wednesday morning. Walker owns two houses in D.C. and one in Baltimore, per the outlet.

Walker’s unlicensed rental on Kennedy Street NW burned down on August 18 of last year. About a dozen immigrants from Ethiopia lived in the home that officials said was rife with fire hazards. First responders described it as a maze of rooms with hallways so narrow it was sometimes impossible to open one door without jamming another one closed. Certain sections of the house were partitioned off from each other with locked security gates, making it difficult for firefighters to enter all parts of the home to make rescues. There were reportedly bars covering doors and windows.

Two people died in the fire: a 40-year-old man named Fitsum Kebede and a nine-year-old boy named Yafet Solomon.

After the fire, it came to light that the city had been informed about dangerous conditions in the home, as well as the possibility that it was an illegal rental. An officer at the Metropolitan Police Department responded to a domestic dispute at the home in March, months before the fire, and flagged the numerous hazards both to D.C. Fire and the Department for Consumer and Regulatory Affairs. D.C. Fire did nothing about the reports, and DCRA closed an inquiry before an inspector had even gone inside the home.

Walker was licensed to operate the Kennedy Street property as a pharmacy. It was registered as a company called Flowers Medical Care LLC, per DCRA records.

The indictment says that the landlord displayed a “conscious disregard of an extreme risk of death or serious bodily injury” at the rental, and that he “failed to correct fire hazards,” per the Post. Walker is charged with two counts of second-degree murder and two counts of involuntary manslaughter.

He is set to be arraigned in D.C. Superior Court on January 28.

There’s No Paywall Here

DCist is supported by a community of members … readers just like you. So if you love the local news and stories you find here, don’t let it disappear!

Become a Member