The celebration will take place on the White House South Lawn and the Ellipse on Saturday, July 4.

Alex Brandon / AP Photo

Despite pushback from local lawmakers and D.C.’s current coronavirus restrictions, Trump plans to host his Fourth of July celebration at the White House.

The White House announced Friday that Trump, along with the Department of the Interior, will host the “Salute to America” celebration on the South Lawn of the White House and Ellipse on July 4 — complete with music, military flyovers, and a nightcap of “spectacular fireworks” over the National Mall.

The announcement comes after weeks of concern from local and federal officials. Trump said during a late-April coronavirus briefing that he had no intentions of cancelling his second-annual Independence Day event, and a month later, Members of Congress representing the National Capital Region came out against plans for large public celebrations in a letter sent to the secretaries of defense and the interior.

“Given the current COVID-19 crisis, we believe such an event would needlessly risk the health and safety of thousands of Americans,” says the letter, adding that a large-scale celebration would likely take away tax payer dollars during the midst of a historic economic downfall.

In response to Trump’s Friday announcement, Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.), who led the letter against Trump in late May, issued a statement condemning Trump’s plans and the apparent lack of safety precautions in them.

“Hot off threatening to violate the constitutionally-protected rights of peaceful protesters earlier today, the President is again displaying his fondness for dictators and the trappings of autocracy,” writes Beyer in a statement. “The President of the United States should be capable of celebrating Independence Day responsibly. Instead he is using the military to stage yet another costly political photo op.”

Under Phase Two of reopening — which D.C. begins on Monday — mass gatherings over 50 people are prohibited, unless they take place on federal property, per Mayor Muriel Bowser’s order.  As of May 27, the National Park Service (who typically coordinates with D.C. government to plan fireworks on the Mall) had not received details from the White House on what the event would look like, or if social distancing measures would be required. Neither the National Park Service nor Bowser’s office immediately returned request for comment.

When Trump last spoke of his Fourth of July plans in April, he suggested that social distancing precautions would likely be in place — with people standing 6 feet apart from one another — and recognized that the pandemic would likely shrink the crowd sizes from last year’s celebration, which drew thousands of protesters and supporters to the Mall.

“We’ll have to do that in a very interesting way,” he said in April. “Maybe we’ll even do it greater. Leave a little extra distance. But if we do that, we’d certainly do that.”

However, attendees at Trump’s indoor campaign rally in Tulsa on Saturday are not required to wear masks (although they will be provided). Ticket-holders needed to sign a waiver, agreeing that they cannot sue for any complications with the coronavirus after attending.