Despite heavy rain, thousands of people gathered to hear President Donald Trump speak on July 4, 2019.

WAMU / Tyrone Turner

As preparations begin for next week’s Fourth of July celebrations, a new report shows President Donald Trump’s Salute to America event in 2019 cost more than $13 million, roughly double the amount from each of the prior two years.

The cost of previous celebrations on the National Mall ranged between $6 million and $7 million for the years 2016 to 2018, according to a Government Accountability Office report released on Friday.

In 2019, an additional $4,265,869 in taxpayer dollars was spent primarily on the production and execution of Salute to America, the cost to move Department of Defense vehicles to the Mall and additional security for the president, the agency reported.

The majority of these additional costs, almost $2.9 million, was spent by the National Park Service. The Department of Defense spent about $1.3 million.

With the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, lawmakers have expressed reservations about this year’s Fourth of July celebrations, which the White House announced will still occur. The Salute to America is slated to take place on the South Lawn of the White House and Ellipse, rather than the Lincoln Memorial where it was held last year.

Officials have said there will be music, military flyovers, and “spectacular fireworks” over the National Mall, but details have yet to be released.

Democrats from Maryland, Virginia and the District sent a letter to Defense Secretary Mark Esper and Interior Secretary David Bernhardt asking for this year’s plans to be canceled.

“Given the current COVID-19 crisis, we believe such an event would needlessly risk the health and safety of thousands of Americans.” The lawmakers added, “This event would come at the cost of millions of taxpayer dollars while we are facing an unprecedented economic downturn due to the pandemic.”

D.C. is currently in Phase Two of its reopening. Mass gatherings of 50 or more people are prohibited, unless they take place on federal property, according to Mayor Muriel Bowser’s order.

Despite these concerns, the Department of Defense says 1,700 service members will support next week’s celebration along with flyovers beginning in Boston, then onto New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore. They’ll finish their demonstration over the District.

The flyovers are not expected to incur an additional cost, according to the Department of Defense, which said in a statement that “these aircraft and crews would be using these hours for proficiency and training at other locations if they were not conducting these flyovers.”