As the 2019 World Series champion Washington Nationals and the rest of Major League Baseball ramp up for opening day of the pandemic-delayed season, there are already complications.
On the fourth official day of baseball’s second training camp, Nats reliever Sean Doolittle revealed his concern to reporters via Zoom — and, later, on Twitter — about not receiving his coronavirus test results in a timely manner, the lack of PPE for players and staff, and the logic of bringing sports back with the pandemic still very much raging.
This comes on the heels of a number of MLB players, including Nats’ first baseman Ryan Zimmerman, opting out of playing this year due to their own safety concerns.
Sporting a beige face covering and after checking his phone to be sure, Doolittle said he still hadn’t received his test results from Friday even though he had to take another test today. He said, so far, getting results back in a timely fashion is an ongoing issue despite initial assurances that players would get results within 48 hours.
“We went to bed … on Thursday night not knowing if we were going to have practice the next day because we didn’t know if our results would be in on time. … We’ve got to clean that up,” says Doolittle.
He expressed frustration that the process seems disorganized and rushed, something he says got lost in the shuffle while owners and players argued over money during their monthslong negotiations to bring the sport back: “The conversation shifted to be about the economics and the business aspect, [so] that the health and safety protocols kind of took a back seat.” He says this risks not just the players, but all staff involved. Doolittle also said the monthslong financial negotiations came across as “tone-deaf” and “gross,” adding that players have not received the N95 masks, gloves, and gowns they were promised — though he praised Nats’ medical staff and his teammates for wearing masks, taking precautions, and otherwise creating a safe environment in the clubhouse.
Doolittle had harsh words about how he believes the country is dealing with the coronavirus pandemic and his skepticism that baseball starting up again now is the right move. “We’re trying to bring baseball back in a pandemic that has killed 130,000 people,” says Doolittle. “We are worse in this country than where we were in March when we shut this thing down.”
“Sports are like the reward of a functioning society,” he continued. “And we are just trying to bring it back even though we’ve taken none of the steps… to flatten the curve.”
All of that said, Doolittle still plans to play this season provided he feels safe physically and mentally. He says that his wife Eireann Dolan, who suffers from asthma and is considered high-risk, will not be with him, but rather staying nearby at a friend’s house.
He also said a number of other players feel similarly about not being “100% comfortable” about where things are right now. This includes perhaps the game’s biggest star, Mike Trout of the Los Angeles Angels.
Around the same time as Doolittle’s comments, Washington Nationals manager Dave Martinez revealed that two Nats players have tested positive for coronavirus. The team can not publicly identify the players without their permission, which hasn’t happened yet.
Overall and according to MLB’s most recent numbers, 31 players and eight staff members from 19 teams out of 3,185 samples tested positive. This works out to be a 1.2% positive rate, which is significantly below D.C’s rate, the national average, and other sports vying to return.
However, this includes several notable players — like Atlanta Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman and San Diego Padres outfielder Tommy Pham — who either publicly announced it themselves or gave their teams permission to do so.
The plan is for teams to play a 60-game season concluding at the end of September, with playoffs through October.
It’s expected that the Nats will open their season on July 23 against the New York Yankees at Nats Park.
Matt Blitz