Updated July 21 at 9:18 a.m.
New details from an independent investigation into allegations of racial discrimination in the Prince George’s County Police Department seem to sustain complaints that Black officers were more likely to face discipline than their white colleagues.
The newly unredacted details come from a 94-page document that was released last month as part of the ongoing lawsuit filed by a group of current and former police officers against the department. Michael Graham, a policing expert and former assistant sheriff with the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department who was retained by the officers who brought the suit, produced the report.
The new details reveal that county police leadership failed to discipline officers for racial profiling. “In my experience, that is indicative of a lack of commitment by Department leadership to address a significant issue of community tension,” wrote Graham.
Senior leadership also chose not to track if disciplinary action was discriminatory, per the report. While Black officers make up about 42.8% of the force, the report said that Black and Brown officers were twice as likely to have disciplinary charges sustained against them as white officers. Officers of color were also three times more likely to be terminated compared to their white counterparts, per the report.

“Defendants identified a handful of investigations between 2013 and 2019 which involved a complaint that a white (or unknown) officer engaged in racist conduct,” Graham wrote.
Of the 57 charges of discriminatory action filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Office by the plaintiffs, only 14 resulted in an investigation, according to the report.
Senior leadership in the department has also been found to actively conceal previous disciplinary infractions by officers, according to Graham. Previous unredacted portions of the report portrayed an environment where officer misconduct was inconsistently investigated.
According to the legal team representing the officers suing the department, PGPD provided those files on the condition that they be kept confidential, which meant the plaintiffs had to significantly redact the public version of the report. They were ultimately unredacted as part of the legal fight, which the ACLU of Maryland helped file.
Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Aisha Braveboy said, “We’re still reviewing everything in regards to the case. We believe [our office] should have the fully unredacted report.”
The redacted report was released one day before County Executive Angela Alsobrooks accepted the resignation of former Police Chief Hank Stawinski and appointed Hector Velez as acting chief. Last month, Alsobrooks largely declined to comment on the lawsuit, and claimed that Stawinski’s resignation was not related to the release of the report.
“[Stawinski’s resignation] did not have anything to do with the report,” Alsobrooks said. “[I] just had the sense that it was in the best interest of our county and our department. And it was time to move in a different direction in terms of leadership.”
Prince George’s County is spending $6.3 million in legal proceedings.
Earlier this month, Alsobrooks created a task force to consider possible reforms to the county’s police department. Through a spokeswoman, Alsobrooks declined to comment on the revelations, citing the ongoing litigation.
This article has been updated with a comment from State’s Attorney Aisha Braveboy.
Dominique Maria Bonessi