This story was last updated at 3:15 p.m.
Washington Nationals’ 21-year-old superstar Juan Soto has tested positive for COVID-19, the team has confirmed. He will miss tonight’s opening game against the New York Yankees.
Nationals’ General Manager Mike Rizzo told reporters Thursday afternoon that the outfielder is asymptomatic and has tested negative several times over the last few weeks. Soto got a positive result earlier this morning on a test he took two days ago, Rizzo said.
“I think you have to take a business-as-usual type of approach to it, just like any other injury during the season,” Rizzo said.
Soto was practicing with the team up until he received his results this morning. The team also was tested today, but won’t receive their results until after tonight’s game.
Major League Baseball is requiring consistent, ongoing COVID-19 testing for both staff and players throughout the season. Soto will need to test negative twice over the span of more than 24 hours in order to be cleared to play again.
At this moment, it’s unclear how much time he will miss of the upcoming, shortened 60-game season. Currently, he’s not on the Nationals initial 30-player roster.
https://twitter.com/Nationals/status/1286366531627229191
MLB charted flights for players in the Dominican Republic at the beginning of the month so they could arrive back to the United States and begin prepping for the upcoming season. Several Nationals players, including Soto, took these flights.
However, players and staff were not tested prior to boarding the plane, the Washington Post reported.
Since then, multiple players — and now Soto — have tested positive for COVID-19.
The team is reporting that no other players have tested positive in the latest round of tests.
Last season, Soto was one of the main drivers behind the Nats winning their first World Series.
A game-winning hit in the Wild Card playoff game sent Nationals Park into a frenzy. In the World Series, Soto went on to hit three home runs and had seven runs batted in.
Matt Blitz