Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan is giving private schools the authority to decide if campuses should reopen in the fall, overriding a decision by Montgomery County’s top health official that would have mandated they start the school year with distance learning.
On Friday, Montgomery County Health Officer Dr. Travis Gayles ordered non-public schools to stay closed for in-person classes through Oct. 1. Hogan, a Republican, criticized the decision as overly broad, and said Monday it exceeded the county health officer’s authority.
“Maryland’s recovery continues to be based on a flexible, community-based approach that follows science, not politics,” Hogan said in a news release.
Gayles could not be immediately reached for comment.
Several Maryland public school systems, including those in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, have opted to start the school year virtually. But the state is in Phase 2 of reopening, which means schools are allowed to reopen with social distancing and other safety precautions.
In an emergency order, Hogan said local governments may order businesses to close or impose restrictions that are stricter than state requirements. But he added that schools and school systems should have the flexibility to make reopening decisions that align with public health guidelines.
“Private and parochial schools deserve the same opportunity and flexibility to make reopening decisions,” he said. “As long as schools develop safe and detailed plans that follow CDC and state guidelines, they should be empowered to do what’s best for their community.”
Last week, Gayles said keeping schools closed would protect residents as coronavirus cases spike across Maryland. The state has recorded more than 88,000 cases of COVID-19, nearly 18,000 of which are in Montgomery County, the state’s largest jurisdiction.
“Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have based our decisions on science and data,” Gayles said. “At this point the data does not suggest that in-person instruction is safe for students or teachers.”
Montgomery County Executive Marc Elrich defended Gayles’ decision on Monday and criticized Hogan for overturning it.
“I don’t understand how the governor separates private schools from public schools,” he said. “Maybe he’s under a different set of political pressures.”
Debbie Truong