Last week, Secret Service officers with guns drawn surrounded two Black D.C. moms sitting in a parked car with their infants near the National Mall, then handcuffed them and separated them from their infants, the mothers told the Washington Post. On Tuesday, D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton sent a letter to the Secret Service and the Department of Homeland Security asking for answers.
“Such an incident must not be tolerated anywhere,” Norton says in a statement. “But it will not be tolerated in our nation’s capital.”
In her letter, Norton asks the Secret Service and DHS for responses within five business days on several matters, including whether any body-camera or dashboard footage of the incident exists and will be released, as well as why a rifle was allegedly pointed at one of the women.
“Why did your officers point their rifle at the head of one of the women, in front of children, when she had apparently made no effort to avoid arrest or in any other way posed a danger?” Norton writes. “Is it typical for your officers to draw a weapon on an individual who was pulled over just for having a car that might look similar to one that was stolen?”
The Secret Service said in a statement Tuesday, according to The Washington Post, that it is investigating the incident. It also says that before the incident, D.C. police had alerted it to a vehicle near the White House that was connected to criminal activity, and that a person who had driven it had been labeled “armed and dangerous.”
The demand for an investigation comes amid intense nationwide scrutiny toward law enforcement following months of protests over police brutality and systemic racism toward Black people.
India Johnson and Yasmeen Winston, longtime friends in their 20s who grew up in Reston, drove to the Mall Thursday to have their babies cool off and play in the fountains of the World War II Memorial, a summertime activity they’d also done in June. But after they parked on Constitution Avenue to head to the water, a Secret Service vehicle drove into the front of their car, the mothers say.
“It felt like a dream. It was so unreal,” Winston told the Post, which first reported the incident. “We’re trying to understand what [the officer] was saying, because we didn’t want to make the wrong move and accidentally get shot up.”
An officer told the women that the vehicle had been reported stolen and that two Black men were suspects, the women say. Johnson told the officers she had not reported the car stolen and offered evidence that she was the owner. The women say they were handcuffed and detained for close to an hour before ultimately being released. Both are requesting a Secret Service investigation into the incident, along with their lawyer, who sent a letter to Secret Service Director James Murray over the weekend.
During the incident, a Secret Service officer wielding a rifle ordered the women out of the vehicle, the mothers say, with additional gun-toting officers quickly surrounding them. One of the officers pointed a rifle at Winston’s head, she says, adding that she begged the officer not to shoot her child. The women were handcuffed and were not read their Miranda rights, according to the letter.
“I could have been another Breonna Taylor,” Winston told the Post, referring to a 26-year-old Black medical worker who was killed in her home by Louisville, Ky., police in March. “I could have been another innocent woman who has no record and got shot.”
For roughly 45 minutes, the women were detained outside the vehicle in handcuffs while their babies cried from the back seat, according to the letter. Officers, who the women say initially did not wear face masks, ignored Winston’s request to breastfeed her child, she says. An officer called an ambulance to ensure the children’s well-being and the women were eventually allowed to rejoin their children. Sometime during the altercation, officers searched Johnson’s vehicle without obtaining her permission, according to the letter.
“This incident took place near our national monuments across from the White House,” wrote their lawyer, Timothy Maloney, in the letter. “It occurred after eight weeks of unprecedented national demonstrations about excessive police conduct, some of which took place right there on Constitution Avenue. Has the Secret Service learned nothing this summer?”
Eliza Tebo