Prince George’s County will remain in Phase Two of reopening for the time being, as the county’s metrics are not yet low enough to warrant a move to Phase Three.
County Executive Angela Alsobrooks announced the decision Thursday on the advice of county officials who analyzed county COVID-19 data over the past two weeks and found that the county’s positivity rate (of the tests administered, the percentage that has a positive result), infection rate and average daily case rates have all increased. Alsobrooks said at a press conference that the county had made “some progress” regarding COVID-19 metrics in recent weeks.
“Unfortunately, however, those COVID-19 metrics that we measure are still higher than we would like,” Alsobrooks said. “And in the past few days, we’ve actually reached a plateau in our data.”
The county executive’s office says recent COVID-19 data indicates that the county positivity rate had fallen to a low of 3.5% the week of Sept. 20 before increasing to 4.2% last week. The infection rate had fallen below 1.0 before it rose to 1.0 as of Sept. 28. And the average daily case rate last week was 11.5 new cases per 100,000 residents; the same metric stood at 10.1 cases the week of Sept. 20. Alsobrooks said the county would like that figure to stabilize at 10 new cases per day or lower.
Much of Maryland transitioned to Phase Three of reopening early last month, but Prince George’s, Montgomery and Anne Arundel counties decided to delay the move based on their analyses of local metrics.
Prince George’s County also released new guidance on Halloween activities. It is advising against door-to-door trick-or treating and will not permit indoor haunted houses. Large block parties and festivals are also “discouraged,” according to a press release. Halloween costume masks are also not advised, as they do not offer the same protection during the pandemic as other face coverings.
For a safer Halloween, the county suggests residents attend drive-thru candy distributions, including those sponsored by local jurisdictions, as well as engage in at-home pumpkin carving, scavenger hunts and movie nights with household members, and virtual costume contests. (D.C. released Halloween guidance earlier this week.)
As the county remains in Phase Two, it will not yet resume visitations to nursing homes, and childcare facilities will not be permitted to increase their child-to-teacher ratios, according to the press release.
During Phase Two, theaters, bars and nightclubs in the county remain closed, and restaurants and other retail can operate at 50% percent capacity. Drive-in movie theaters, however, will be allowed to reopen Friday at 5 p.m., provided they meet permit requirements.
The county will continue to analyze COVID-19 data and will provide another update in two to three weeks.
“Hopefully, we will be able to move into a modified Phase Three,” Alsobrooks said.
Eliza Tebo