This story was updated at 6:28 p.m.
Men who were charged in a plot to kidnap Michigan’s Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer also discussed Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam as a possible target, an FBI agent said in a Michigan court on Tuesday.
Special Agent Richard Trask testified that two of the defendants had a meeting in Ohio in June where they discussed targeting state leaders over their COVID-19 restrictions.
“At this meeting, they discussed possible targets, taking a sitting governor, specifically issues with the governors of Michigan and Virginia, based upon the lockdown orders,” Trask said, according to The Washington Post.
Trask didn’t give an indication that the men made further plans to kidnap Northam, and no one has been charged with trying to kidnap the governor. Northam, a Democrat, faced criticism from Republicans, including the president, over measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus in Virginia.
“I will not work under a cloud of intimidation. It’s not who I am,” Northam said Tuesday at a press conference called to discuss Virginia’s response to the pandemic. It was Northam’s first public appearance since his own coronavirus diagnosis late last month.
Earlier Tuesday, a Northam spokesperson said the FBI alerted members of the governor’s security team during their investigation into the threats, but “per security protocols for highly-classified information,” the governor and his staff were not alerted.
Northam and his family were never in imminent danger, the spokesperson, Alena Yarmosky, said.
“Here’s the reality: President Trump called upon his supporters to “LIBERATE VIRGINIA” in April — just like Michigan. In fact, the President regularly encourages violence against those who disagree with him. The rhetoric coming out of this White House has serious and potentially deadly consequences. It must stop,” Yarmosky said.
At his press conference, Northam said the president’s words “have meaning to people.”
“When language is used such as to ‘liberate’ Virginia, people, they find meaning in those words,” he said.
Six men were charged in federal court in relation to the plot to kidnap Whitmer, and seven others face domestic terrorism charges for wanting to storm the Michigan Capitol and start a “civil war,” according to the Associated Press.
Tuesday’s court hearing was to determine whether some of the defendants can be released on bond, according to the Post.
This story was updated with information from Gov. Ralph Northam’s press conference.