Trump says he will not be hosting a party at the Trump Hotel for Election Night, citing D.C.’s pandemic restrictions.

Daniel X. O'Neil / Flickr

President Donald Trump’s election night party is now scheduled to take place in the East Room of the White House, with around 400 people on the invite list, according to the New York Times. The party was originally planned for the Trump International Hotel in downtown D.C., but administration staff reportedly relocated it due to city health regulations that restrict the number of people who can gather indoors. The White House is on federal property and is not subject to local pandemic regulations.

“The event is certain to raise questions about safety, given that the coronavirus spreads more easily in indoor spaces,” writes New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman.

A ceremony held at the White House Rose Garden in September drew criticism from Dr. Anthony Fauci, who called the event a “super spreader” after it was linked to dozens of new coronavirus cases.

Original story:

President Donald Trump has reportedly called off his election night plans at the Trump International Hotel in downtown D.C., and instead will likely spend the night at the White House. The decision was first reported by the New York Times, who cites a person “familiar with the plans.”

Earlier this week, the Trump campaign emailed supporters about a planned party at the hotel, which is on D.C. land, and thus, subject to the city’s health regulations during the pandemic. Under D.C. Health guidance, any establishment with a liquor license can hold large gatherings at half capacity, with all guests seated, a D.C. Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration spokesperson told Washingtonian.

Mayor Muriel Bowser said at her press conference on Monday that she had heard of an event planned at the hotel for election night and that her office “will be in touch” with the establishment. Trump told reporters Friday he hadn’t yet decided yet whether he’d be staying at the White House or another location, but he openly criticized the mayor’s coronavirus restrictions.

“The mayor has shut [D.C.] down,” Trump said. “I think it’s crazy Washington, D.C. is shut down.”

Bowser’s officer did not immediately return DCist’s request for comment.

This week’s party-planning blunders aren’t the first time the president’s hotel has been checked by the District’s coronavirus restrictions. In July, Trump appeared at the downtown hotel sans-mask, prompting city officials to inspect the establishment in the following days for proper COVID-19 compliance. The Washington Post reported at the time that inspector found no violations, but committed to monitoring the hotel.

It marks the latest (albeit not the most dramatic) discrepancy between the president’s activities and the pandemic cautions of local leaders. Over the summer he hosted a Fourth of July celebration on the National Mall despite pushback from D.C.-area officials. He has since faced similar criticism for the now-infamous Rose Garden super-spreader event that’s linked to the COVID-19 infections of more than a dozen people in Trump’s orbit.