The bar will pay $5,000 and face a seven-day suspension of its license from Dec. 20 to Dec. 26

Screenshot / Google Maps

Four months after a private security guard dragged a Black woman down the stairs at Nellie’s Sports Bar, sparking months of protests, the once popular gay bar on U Street NW will pay a $5,000 fine and have its liquor license suspended for seven days.

During an Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) Board hearing on Wednesday, the gay nightlife mainstay agreed to a compromise with D.C. — the bar will pay the fine within 120 days, and serve a seven-day suspension from Dec. 20 to Dec. 26 of this year. (An additional 17 days of a suspension are stayed, meaning they will go away so long as Nellie’s does not receive another infraction.) Nellie’s must also draft and submit a security plan to the city’s Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration (ABRA) within at least ten days — something ABRA found the bar was without on the night of the assault.

The bar’s owner, Doug Schantz, appeared but did not speak at Wednesday’s hearing. (Schantz did not respond to repeated inquiries from DCist/WAMU in the weeks following the incident). Andrew Kline, Nellie’s lawyer, delivered remarks on behalf of Schantz.

“The licensee has found the situation very regrettable and unfortunate,” Kline said. “It’s been an experience for Mr. Schantz personally and for the business.”

Wednesday’s hearing marked the end to a regulatory saga that began at Nellie’s months ago. During D.C.’s Pride Week in June, a video went viral showing a private security guard at the bar dragging a young woman, Keisha Young, down the steps. Shortly afterwards ABRA opened an investigation into the incident and confirmed that Young and another patron had been assaulted by private security personnel hired by Nellie’s. (The bar terminated its contract with the private company after the incident).

ABRA went on to allege that Nellie’s violated D.C. law by allowing illegal or disorderly conduct to take place on licensed premises; investigators found that the bar’s rooftop was overcrowded, prompting a chaotic scene when security attempted to remove a patron who had brought in outside alcohol.

Once ABRA conducts an investigation, the case is sent to Attorney General Karl Racine’s office. If it decides to proceed, the ABC Board holds a “show cause hearing,” and determines the level of punishment, which can be anything ranging from a fine to a lost liquor license.

On Wednesday, an attorney with Racine’s office offered a compromise and Kline accepted, essentially foregoing Schantz’ right to a hearing, where he could have defended himself or offered his own testimony.

“I mean I think it’s excessive, but Mr. Schantz has a desire to put this behind him,” Kline said.

During the hearing, Kline emphasized the steps Nellie’s has taken to atone for the incident. Nellie’s closed in the weeks following the incident. (But ongoing protests and boycotts outside sometimes aided in those closures.)

“In an effort to bridge the gap between the business and the community and address issues that might arise, managers and staff have all completed a conflict escalation training program,” Kline said. “It’s Nellie’s policy moving forward that that will be regular for onboarding employees.”

In July, Nellie’s issued its first public statement on the assault of Young; a Facebook post offered Young an apology, and also announced that Ruby Corado, who recently stepped down from the LGBTQ+ nonprofit she founded, Casa Ruby, will be a new director of community engagement for the bar. But Corado’s hire didn’t sit well with many of the activists that had been rallying and boycotting Nellie’s for several weeks in a row — some called the more performative, and doubted Schantz’ or Corado’s commitment to making safe spaces for Black LGBQT+ residents.